Templeton Community Library Association (TCLA) formed in 2000 as a 501(c)3 corporation to continue a young Boy Scout Josh Gibson's idea to build a community library in Templeton as his Eagle Scout project. In collaboration with SLO County Officials, the plan was to partner 50-50 on the funds needed with SLO County to build Templeton a public Library.
In 2001, TCLA signed a lease with Templeton Unified School District (TUSD) for a portion of the High School parking lot at the corner of Main Street and Templeton Road, Templeton, as a library building site. Over the years TCLA fundraised to match with the County for a traditional stick-built building on the site.
In March 2020, with no County funds for library facilities, TCLA chose to build a smaller modular library on a reduced budget with only donated funds. We hope to work with the County in the future to operate the library. but we will operate with volunteer staffing until an MOU is final.
Templeton Library 1919
Templeton used to have a Library. It was built in 1915 as a Reading Room by the Templeton Women’s Civic Club on a lot on Main Street that the Templeton Board of Trade donated.
The Reading Room eventually became a library, listed in 1919 County records, and noted in 2019's SLO County Centennial Celebration of Library Services. However, in 1979 the County closed Templeton Library along with 4 other branches after Proposition 13 was enacted. The County later re-opened the other 4 branches, but not Templeton.
The purpose of this non-profit Corporation is to establish and maintain an association of persons in support of the establishment of a library within the Templeton area of San Luis Obispo County.